Susan SloanTipton School Board - Cicero Township
Preferred Contact Information
Years as Tipton County Resident?
- Tri-Central High School Grad
- IU-South Bend Grad
- Annual Continuing Education Programs
- Encore Center - Wine Tasting Event Volunteer
- Women's Fund - Annual Tea Event Volunteer
- TMS Reality Store Parent Volunteer
- THS After Prom Parent Volunteer
- THS Basketball Booster Volunteer
- 4H Parent & Volunteer
- TESO Volunteer
- Small Business Owner
- Parental Leader On Task Force To Attain School Resource Officer (SRO)
- Fundraising Committee Member - Women's Fund Annual Tea
- Fundraising Committee Member - Encore Wine Event
1. What is your number one reason for wanting to serve on the school board?
The number one reason I'm wanting to serve on school board is to be involved in decision making that is directly affecting our students and community. Everyone benefits when both the school and the community are working together for student success. Just a few positives that come to mind are it can improve programs/curriculum where there is cross-over between the school and community. Gain access to mentors/resources to support in school teaching/learning. Also, it can improve school culture/image through positive relationships and spotlights of achievement between school and community organizations/businesses.
2. What role does policy play/have in the function of the board?
Policy has an important role when it comes to the function of the board as it not only creates standards & procedures, but more importantly it sets both expectations and accountability. This is necessary for both the short-term and long-term as we work to set our school up for success.
3. What do you think is the biggest issue facing your district?
Declining enrollment is the biggest issue facing the district at this point. While there are a wide range of factors that have contributed to the reduction of students, it has no less resulted in increased budget restraints. There is no doubt this board has some compelling decisions ahead. However, these obstacles present opportunities such as marketing our school to showcase all of our positive aspects we have to offer and developing a stronger working relationship with our community leaders/businesses.
4. If you were elected what one thing would you like to accomplish during your term?
If elected, the one thing I would like to accomplish during my term is not only to stabilize, but return to growth with regards to student enrollment.
5. What legislative action at the state level would you support to improve education in our community.
There are a few legislative actions out there now that are being discussed/proposed at the state level that I would certainly be in support of to improve our education here in Tipton. One of the top items centers around increased teacher pay. There are a couple of bills that have already been proposed with regard to this:
* SB0228-Study Committee On Teacher Salary Grid
* SB0231-Competitive Teach Pay Initiative Review