Gary W. JohnsonTipton School Board - City of Tipton
Preferred Contact Information
Years as Tipton County Resident?
Lawrence Central High School Indianapolis Indiana
- Tipton Community Theater
- Tipton Elementary Service Organization
- Tipton Middle School Service Organization
- Tipton County Foundation
- and several youth sports organizations.
- 20 years retail management experience.
1. What is your number one reason for wanting to serve on the school board?
I have always believed that education is one of the most important things that make a community strong and viable. It is the central hub for the community, families and businesses that rely on employees from the community. The students today are the future for the Tipton community.
2. What role does policy play/have in the function of the board?
The primary function of the board is to create and make sure that policy is current, and being followed by the school administration.
3. What do you think is the biggest issue facing your district?
The biggest issue for Tipton Community Schools is maintaining our programs within the constraints of our budget. We can not afford to short change the education of our students now or in the future.
4. If you were elected what one thing would you like to accomplish during your term?
The one accomplishment I would like to see happen is that Tipton Community Schools become a premier school system in the state of Indiana. We have quality teachers and great administrators working in our school system. We need to look ahead and plan for our students needs for the here and now as well as in the future.
5. What legislative action at the state level would you support to improve education in our community.
I would like to see an admendment to the state constitution that guarantees public school funding and also designates where the funds are coming from and how they are to be distributed. The current system is a huge guess work of complicated formulas and political war mongering that make our schools vulnerable to mis-management and our students under served.